Pages

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Catholic hospitals are hazardous to your health and finances


My wife had surgery in a catholic hospital because her surgeon only operated there and she was in a lot of pain. It was a trauma for me.  I had to listen to religious music for 4 hours. I sat there reliving the deadly torture I had from nuns and priests.  I noticed where the donations of faithful parishioners go: there was a huge atrium with a waterfall, mountains, real trees, rocks and a life-size nativity set up.  While waiting I heard some nurses talking about holy water – that if kept in the home it would ward off evil.  More likely it is enriching the pockets of companies like this one:

“Catholic owned and operated from the company's owners, to product buyers, to our marketing staff, and our warehouse employees. Due to our ecumenical nature as Catholics, it is not a requirement that our employees be Catholic. However, being faithful members of the Catholic Church enables us to better support you and your gift-giving needs. Selling online since 2001, The Catholic Company has since been nationally recognized as being a leader in online retail with several awards in customer care and technology”.

So it’s a big business for something that should have no commercial pressure on us. God should bless the water not men – especially not those who are pedophiles or those who support and enable them. 

Then, because my wife was not well enough for us to stop off at our local inexpensive pharmacy, we had to use the hospital pharmacy. I said I only had $20 on me and they took it all. In keeping with the holiday spirit (they had none) they refused to give us a partial prescription for the pain medicine and I had to pay for 40 pills. When it was time to leave they were in a hurry to get us out even though my wife was throwing up. This was after she took one of the same pills that had been prescribed and after my wife told them she couldn’t tolerate that medicine. They said it was the only type they prescribe – too bad for her.  The hospital is just a money making machine and doesn’t care how they get the money. 

Many people are telling me about their experiences with mean and greedy clergy – if you have an experience to relate please share it with all of us.  You can also reach me on twitter @georgebarilla.




2 comments:

  1. I can appreciate your experience with a Catholic Hospital.

    Years ago, I had two experiences with a Catholic Hospital, (one with my Father, and one with my Mother)

    MOTHER:
    My mother was facing an operation for a broken leg. ------ (Since my wife and I had a "bad experience" with her Father with a simple elbow operation we took action. --- He died on the operating table. When they brought him back to life, he had been dead too long, and he suffered for a year and then died.) ---- Because of this experience, I presented a copy of my mother's "living will" to the hospital. They told me, that as a Catholic Hospital, they would NOT honor my mother's living will. I had to threaten to sue the Hospital for them to honor the will!

    FATHER:
    My father was dying from cancer in the Catholic Hospital. His doctor called me at work, and told me that since I had his living will on file with the Hospital, I needed to sign a legal document not to bring him back to life if he died. ----- I met the doctor at the hospital. The "nurse / nun" insisted that the doctor also sign the document. She accused me of being a bad son, when all I was doing was substantiating the wishes on my Father in his living will.

    The Catholic Hospitals are only interested in money. If the patient is alive, they can milk money out of the family. When my parents entered the hospital, they wanted me to sign the forms. I insisted that my parents sign their own admittance forms. The hospital wanted to make me liable for the bills should my parents die!

    While many good things go on in Catholic Hospitals, the operating procedure is different depending on the people living in the area. Where I live in New Jersey, there is a local Catholic Hospital that is VERY liberal in terms of honoring living wills. This is because the population is made up of Christians, (Non-Catholic Christians), and Jews. If they want to be in business, they have to bend! ------- Here again, the "bottom financial line" is the motivating force!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Catholic hospitals go with the flow -- as long as it flows to the bank. You are right about their attitudes changing based on maximum cash flow for themselves. After what you say and how they treated my wife, I will never go to a catholic hospital. Thank you for your comments and advice. If anyone else has facts to tell about a hospital please let me know because we want to stop people from getting hurt.

    ReplyDelete